[aklug] test effective permissions?

From: Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com>
Date: Sun Sep 11 2016 - 19:55:01 AKDT

Hi list. I was trying to find a quick and easy way to test the effective
permissions for any given user on a file. By "effective permissions", I
mean the resulting access after traditional and ACL permissions are
taken into account. Like, I think I could do this:

$ sudo -u someuser test -r somefile; echo $?
0
$ sudo -u someuser test -w somefile; echo $?
1
$ sudo -u someuser test -x somefile; echo $?
0

... provided I reverse the 0 and 1 in my mind. I'm sure I could turn
that into a nice script, but I was curious if there is already a script
or program in the wild designed to do that.

--
https://qlfiles.net
My PGP public key ID is 0x340EA95A (pgp.mit.edu).