[aklug] Re: IT certifications

From: John Rilling <johnbrilling@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Sep 07 2016 - 05:26:59 AKDT

Hi Guys,

As part of the Government/Military IA(Information Assurance) initiatives
"IT certification baselines" are a prerequisite to be considered for many
IT roles. The mandate is: DoD 8570 IAT level
<http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx>.

Here is a flowchart of their certification requirements:
[image: Inline image 1]

[RESOURCES]
ISAE: http://iase.disa.mil/iawip/Pages/iabaseline.aspx
Vendor Security offering: https://www.sans.org/dodd-8570/
https://jobs.boeing.com/job/-/-/185/2969608?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

In recent years as a senior systems engineer/programmer, I find it difficult
<https://jobs.boeing.com/job/-/-/185/2969608?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed>
to NOT HAVE one of these certifications as many roles adjuct to
Gvernment/Military are now requiring a "Baseline cert" even for programmers
:(

When I have worn the technical manager hat I choose the person with the
most experience, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING EQUAL!
If the experience is equal and one guy has a cert... I choose the guy with
the cert.
Of course "Soft skills" are part of the overall measurement.

HTH!

John Rilling