[aklug] Re: IT certifications

From: The Gaijin <gaijin@gci.net>
Date: Wed Sep 07 2016 - 00:29:49 AKDT

On 9/5/2016 2:51 PM, Royce Williams wrote:
> Certs may not have a strong correlation with real-world performance,
> but they are still useful for reducing the latency of HR packets. :)
>
> Royce

Seconding what Royce said; in a world of Taleo and other HR-as-a-service
sites, certs are a check-box that the HR drone in question can use to
filter applications. My impression is they generally have no idea what
the letters mean, but if you ain't got 'em you're significantly more
likely to have your app end up in /dev/null. (NUL: for a MCSA, hmm? :-D)

Certs as a representation of skill? Depends on the cert. The CTIA
"plus" certs seem to be geared to being able to pass a multiple choice
test (or they were when I did the A+ 20 years ago). Red Hat required
actually being able to perform typical administrative tasks to pass
their RHCSA. As I understand it, the first three tiers of Cisco certs
are mostly multiple choice, while the CCIE is multi-day design and fault
analysis monster.

If your employer if concerned with getting their money's worth out of
you for training, it might be worth seeing if they'll do a pay-back
clause. I.E. they pay for $X certs and you commit to $Y months of
employment beyond receiving the cert or you pay back a pro-rated amount
for the training. This is something a /_useful_/ HR person could
facilitate, or let you know if it was legal / binding in the State.

R.