[aklug] Re: Free software drop in replacement for WS2008?

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2016 - 11:12:23 AKDT

UCS has great community support and possibility for commercial support,
that would by my first choice even over a roll your own samba 4. SME is not
samba4 yet, so it will be an NT emulation, not AD. Samba 4 is what Amazon
uses for their simple directory service for thousands of users per domain,
it is enterprise and is a drop in AD replacement for quite a bit.

However, it isn't a complete replacement. Some things are not supported and
you will find some little hiccups that you will easily work around but
might trip up someone not on board with the Foss culture.

I have built half a dozen UCS domains. I have done 2 migrations from 2003,
one of which was a terrible failure, but not because of UCS. Make sure you
have your DNS right or you will hate life.

Best of luck.

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016, 11:05 AM Peter Barclay PCNI <admin@pcni.us> wrote:

> IMO there’s really nothing that’s going to do a perfect job on *nix of
> emulating AD correctly….Unless MS implements an AD in *nix.
>

> FWIW, I’ve used Collax Business Server in the past and it was very simple
> for even a n00b to maintain.
>

> http://www.collax.com/en/products/collax-business-server/overview/

_
(forgive my terseness or the typos, I am writing on my mobile device)

*JP (Jesse Perry)*
voice/txt: 907-748-2200
email: jp@jptechnical.com
web: http://jptechnical.com