[aklug] Re: Free software drop in replacement for WS2008?

From: Christopher Howard <christopher@alaskasi.com>
Date: Fri Aug 19 2016 - 10:29:00 AKDT

Certainly, certainly... the functionality is there, no doubt. But the
crucial issue is the interface. I look at the SAMBA tutorial for setting
up an Active Directory Domain Controller, and I get 12 pages of bash
commands and config file text. Fine for my use, perhaps, but I need a
system that I can pass off to a replacement who, most likely, will never
even have used a command-line prompt, but nevertheless will need to
administer the system and possibly reinstall it. Plus, I need something
out-of-the box, more or less... this isn't my home network where I can
spend a week tweaking and testing my config files... this is one of my
work duties among two dozen.