[aklug] Re: LVM-RAID vs MDRAID: Recent Experience?

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Thu Apr 28 2016 - 08:40:22 AKDT

mdraid is deceptively simple which is one of it's strong points IMO. You
don't have all the resizing features of LVM, but those really depend on
what you need the raid to do. If you are making a simple mirror then just
do md and be done with it because you will likely never touch it again
unless you need to swap a drive. In full disclosure, I have never been a
fan of LVM, I never took the time to fully grasp it in actual use because I
have never built storage (raid or single disk) I later wished I resized, I
always build it using whole disks.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:12 AM Christopher Howard <christopher@alaskasi.com>
wrote:

> Hi, has anybody had any recent experience with LVM-RAID? I'm setting up
> a new system with two mirrored drives. The posts I've read say that
> LVM-RAID is not yet mature and not very reliable for recovery... but all
> those posts are 2 years old at least.
>
> --
> Christopher Howard, Computer Assistant
> Alaska Satellite Internet
> 3239 La Ree Way, Fairbanks, AK 99709
> 907-451-0088 or 888-396-5623 (toll free)
> fax: 888-260-3584
> mailto:christopher@alaskasi.com
> http://www.alaskasatelliteinternet.com

> --

_
(forgive my terseness or the typos, I am writing on my mobile device)

*JP (Jesse Perry)*
voice/txt: 907-748-2200
email: jp@jptechnical.com
web: http://jptechnical.com