[aklug] Re: [NUGA] Re: getting ready for Badlock?

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2016 - 09:52:27 AKDT

This was informative:

https://www.trustwave.com/Resources/SpiderLabs-Blog/Microsoft-Patch-Tuesday,-April-2016/

The vulnerability (MS16-047 / CVE-2016-0128) is a man in the middle (MITM)
attack on specific RPC traffic. An attacker that's properly placed can
listen in on RPC traffic and force a session to downgrade its
authentication level. This allows a basic hijack of the session and a
privilege escalation that could allow an attacker to full access to
administrative tasks and the user database (SAM) on the remote server.

In other words, if you get between two servers doing admin things, you can
ride their coat-tails.

This MS vuln appears to be it:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/ms16-047

Royce