[aklug] Re: [NUGA] Re: Windows VSS 101

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2016 - 10:35:15 AKDT

What about Sysinternals' Disk2VHD?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Disk2vhd is a utility that creates VHD (Virtual Hard Disk - Microsoft's
Virtual Machine disk format) versions of physical disks for use in
Microsoft Virtual PC or Microsoft Hyper-V virtual machines (VMs). *The
difference between Disk2vhd and other physical-to-virtual tools is that you
can run Disk2vhd on a system that’s online*. Disk2vhd uses Windows' Volume
Snapshot capability, introduced in Windows XP, to create consistent
point-in-time snapshots of the volumes you want to include in a conversion.
You can even have Disk2vhd create the VHDs on local volumes, even ones
being converted (though performance is better when the VHD is on a disk
different than ones being converted).

Royce