[aklug] Re: NTFS Mounting on Windows

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2016 - 09:46:18 AKDT

Could be antivirus or some other "gimme silent and total access to any new
drives for a while" sort of thing.

Also, semi-unrelated: be very wary of sharing NTFS disks between Linux and
Windows. Specifically, strict Windows NTFS forbids characters in filenames
that the default Linux implementation does not. Colons are a big one.
Unless you specify the "windows_names" flag in your Linux mount, it will
happily let you create Windows-incompatible filenames

Here's the kicker. If you then take that drive and plug it into a Windows
system, if a filesystem check is triggered, it will *immediately* start
*deleting* all "invalid" filenames without warning. Yeah.

Guess who found this out the hard way. :/

http://consortiumlibrary.org/lists/aklug/archive/2013-01/0038.html

Royce

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Christopher Howard <christopher@alaskasi.com