[aklug] Re: PSA: RC4 being disabled in IE and Edge on April 12

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Sat Mar 19 2016 - 13:20:32 AKDT

tl;dr: A corrected bare list of affected Alaskan servers is attached, and
remediation guidance is discussed in more detail.

I had incorrectly deduced in what circumstances sites will be affected. I
was filtering on sites without TLS 1.2 enabled. Enabling TLS 1.2 is
strongly recommended in order to use the expanded list of available ciphers
because this will ensure that after disabling RC4 ciphers, your clients
still have some ciphers that they can use. But TLS 1.2 status is not
directly related to your use of RC4-based ciphers, so my first list was not
filtered correctly. (My cached Qualys results were and are still fine; the
attached list was just a convenience).

The new, more accurate list is attached (readable in Notepad this time).
It lists my known Alaska sites with RC4 ciphers -- not only enabled, but
actively negotiated in at least one Qualys client handshake simulation.
This should be a better predictor of your potential risk.

Remediation on IIS: For those of you using IIS, use the free IISCrypto tool
[1] to activate the full list of good ciphers and put them in a solid
preferred order. If you're not sure what the user base is using, enable as
many modern ciphers as possible and take IISCrypto's advice about what
order to put them in.

Remediation on non-IIS servers: For those of you using non-IIS servers that
you can configure directly (non-appliances), the Mozilla config generator
[2] can help. You can pick exactly what version of Apache and OpenSSL
you're using to take advantage of any features available. Pay particular
attention to the "Modern|Intermediate|Old" radio button group. The "old"
setting leaves SSLv2 and SSLv3 enabled, so I do recommend overriding that
to explicitly disable SSLv2 and v3 as long as some TLS flavors are
available. Almost all of you should be able to use at least TLS 1.0 to
support almost all clients, but only your own logs can tell you for sure.

External verification: : You'll need to test the new TLS config, watch your
logs and call queues, and be ready to roll the changed back quickly if they
have unexpected impacts, of course. :) And run a fresh Qualys test [3]
directly yourself immediately afterwards (use the "CLEAR CACHE" link near
the top if needed to clear previous results) to verify that most client
simulations work (and are not using RC4).

Internal verification: If you have access to a Linux system or Cygwin, the
testssl.sh script [4] is useful for internal testing. Nmap's included
ssl-enum-ciphers script [5] will also identify RC4 ciphers, and there are
Windows binary distributions of Nmap.

Load balancers: Finally, remember that load balancers have their own TLS
configuration and may be where your public-facing TLS actually lives. If
you're using Citrix Netscalers, your options may be different depending on
code version, but a basic overview is at [6].

Royce

1. https://www.nartac.com/Products/IISCrypto
2. https://mozilla.github.io/server-side-tls/ssl-config-generator/
3. https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/index.html