[aklug] Re: [NUGA] Re: Re: Copying Windows System to Smaller Drive

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Thu Mar 10 2016 - 14:52:31 AKST

Specifically, it will make a single pass through your drive, doing a
byte-by-byte copy, and noting any sectors that it cannot read.

It will then go back and try to ready those semi-unreadable areas
using multiple methods, and approaching from both spinward and
antispinward directions, trying to sneak up on any kind of
readability. It does this just for those problematic areas of the
drive.

In other words, you get a mostly-good raw image of the drive in a
single pass very quickly. It then tries the hard areas, but doesn't
waste time on the already-read areas. So if the disk dies in
mid-rescue, it got as much as it could and you're always left with a
viable, writable-to-another-drive raw disk image.

Royce