[aklug] Re: Data Usage On Apple Devices?

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Wed Dec 23 2015 - 14:01:10 AKST

While not a solution to your problem, I have run WiFi for some non profits
and the trend I see is apple.com being the #1 transfer hog, and these users
typically do Pandora not iTunes. The updates for ios can be nearly a gig
sometimes. Take 2 people with an iPhone and an iPad, there is 4 gigs right
there. If they have kids then who knows.

Do you have a way of sending them usage data by the day? Because it is
probably pretty rare to truly not know where your data went, usually the
first time is genuine ignorance, after you get past that first OMG moment
you're not innocent anymore. I'm sure there's an app for that.

Just my opinion.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015, 1:41 PM Christopher Howard <christopher@alaskasi.com>
wrote:

> Hi NUGA. I was wondering if there might be any apple experts on the list
> who might have some insight for me. We are a dealer for satellite
> Internet, and one of our company's common support problems is users who
> are exceeding data limits and they don't know why. Of course, there are
> a lot of factors that can be causing the problem in any particular
> case. But it seems like a recurring theme is users with Ipad Airs and
> Iphones seeing massive sudden data loss when (they say) they themselves
> hardly download anything. Does anyone know of anything apple-related
> that might help explain this? Huge system updates...? Hidden file
> synchronization services...?
>
> I use Debian at home, and the office is a Windows shop, so we don't have
> much background in Apple products.
>
> --
> Christopher Howard, Computer Assistant
> Alaska Satellite Internet
> 3239 La Ree Way, Fairbanks, AK 99709
> 907-451-0088 or 888-396-5623 (toll free)
> fax: 888-260-3584
> mailto:christopher@alaskasi.com
> http://www.alaskasatelliteinternet.com

> --