[aklug] Re: Offsite data backup storage for small Alaska business?

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Thu Dec 10 2015 - 23:19:05 AKST

Cloudberry is an awesome cross storage backup utility, and it is hard to
beat the security of Amazon S3, particularly if you encrypt on the client
side before shipping the data. If you know you won't need to retrieve it
anytime soon and can handle the slow retrieval time and potential restore
cost, glacier is an option as well.

The initial load will be painful, but then you are just looking at diffs
depending on how you backup. You might consider staggering the initial
load. Start with a selection of folders that won't kill your plan, when you
have a good baseline add some more folders when you plan resets, rinse and
repeat and you will have your 300gb and less pain.

This is the first backup utility that isn't rsync that I trust with my
clients (i.e. other people's) data.