[aklug] Off topic: Google <was Re: small business email hosting?>

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Wed Nov 25 2015 - 21:34:02 AKST

On 11/25/2015 07:47 PM, bryanm@gci.net wrote:
> Take into account that some of your users may not want their sensitive
> info to be given directly to the
> biggest non-governmental data miner in the world. Google's history
> consists of doing what they think
> is "cool" or "profitable" regardless of whether it's legal or moral.
>
> When I've been part of organizations that considered moving to Google
> services, I was definitely opposed
> to it. I hope I wasn't the only one.
>
> --
> Bryan Medsker
> bryan@gnomon.xyz

==snip: 8<

I try to avoid Google at all cost.

"GOOGLE: If You Send To Gmail, You Have 'No Legitimate Expectation Of
Privacy'"
http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/GOOGLE-If-You-Use-Gmail-You-Have-No-Legitimate-4730587.php

> We must consider issues around contract negotiations and whether
> services provided fulfill the requirements I set forth above. In
> initial negotiations, Google treated Berkeley IT professionals like
> ordinary consumers—it presented take-it-or–leave-it contracts. Google
> was resistant to, though it eventually accepted, assuming obligations
> under FERPA, a critical concession for colleges and universities.
> Google also used a gag clause in its negotiations with schools. This
> made it difficult for our IT professionals to learn from other
> campuses about the nuances of outsourcing to Google. As a result,
> much of what we know about how other campuses protected the privacy of
> their students and faculty is rumor that cannot be invoked, as it
> implicitly violates the gag clause.
"The good, not so good, and long view on Bmail"
http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2013/03/06/the-good-not-so-good-and-long-view-on-google-mail/