[aklug] Re: small business email hosting?

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Wed Nov 25 2015 - 17:17:08 AKST

Google Apps, hands down. I have been using Google Apps since private beta,
and have tried just about everything under the sun for mail services. You
will never look back man...

 I tried zimbra round the time Yahoo owned them. It was pretty good, and
was a great alternative to on-premise exchange. But, the industry has
changed and beyond SPOP and SIMAP there isn't much new under the sun in
FOSS mail systems. Trends have gone to webmail systems, and
roundcube.squirrelmail ain't no gmail/hotmail/yahoo. Now a days small
businesses need tight integration of mail, calendar and contacts. You can
do that with outlook (ugh), but not well with pop/imap. Office365 is awful,
unless you are an IT biz, in which case you rake in the dough supporting
the beast, and never go on vacation because there is an outage for one of
Microsoft's core services 5 out of 7 days a week. GAPPS gives you the best
of it all... sync with outlook, webmail on any device with internet access
(i.e. internet enabled toaster), and the best uptime of any mail system
ever.

     ___ _______
    | | |
    | | _ |