[aklug] Alaskan external monitoring

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Sat Sep 19 2015 - 08:22:11 AKDT

I'm spinning up a cooperative effort to provide free, independent
external monitoring and trending for Alaskan geeks.

    http://akmon.techsolvency.com/

The goal is to capture baseline health for Alaskan shared
infrastructure and core external services. I want to enable everyone
to quickly and definitively resolve the recurring questions of "Is it
working from outside our network?" and the "Is it our local upstream?"

It's currently running out of a Digital Ocean VPS in SFO, so the
latency has many upstream dependencies -- but it's independent from
any specific Alaskan infrastructure. I may try to set up a Seattle
instance if I can find hyper-affordable VPS hosting there.

It's currently just SmokePing, but other stuff can be added pretty easily.

Suggestions welcome, especially hosts to add.

I'm not sure why some of the smokeping HTTPS polling isn't working.
It's using the EchoPingHttps poller. Anybody have any experience in
this area?

Royce