[aklug] Re: Fast Downloads in Anchorage

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 14 2015 - 21:03:09 AKDT

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Damien Hull <dhull@section9.us> wrote:

> It's nice that the ISP's like GCI are offering blazing fast internet. It
> just sucks that I can't connect at that speed.

Last mile problems aside, there's the ongoing issue of TCP throughput vs.
latency. For many destinations we here in AK are dealing with what is
effectively transcontinental latency. A consumer is going to have
difficulty saturating that link (in a non-DDOS scenario, tnx Leif), under
"normal" use, even with a sturdy customer edge router.

Keeping traffic local whenever possible, there is quite a bit of traffic to
eyeball networks that is served in-state, at least 30%. That's the stuff
you're going to see good single-stream TCP bandwidth on.

I'm not so convinced it's ISP hell, or they/we wouldn't offer faster
connections. ISPs exist to move bits, the more the better, the more the
cheaper per bit. Perhaps a little purgatory. From a practical perspective,
a 1 gig connection is not, for most customers, going to have them consuming
4x the transit bandwidth of a 250 meg.

But I do not speak ex-cathedra and am willing to be wrong. A pestilence of
torrentors (that is the right collective noun, no?) can throw off the math.
I'm seeing the shift back from P2P toward CDN traffic.

That's my ~.00007 BTC

jermudgeon