[aklug] Re: Fast Downloads in Anchorage

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Mon Sep 14 2015 - 15:29:12 AKDT

You've touched on a huge problem.

Yes, there are a big number of SOHO devices that support 1G WAN-side.

Many of them can't bridge that much traffic wire-speed, though, especially when performing NAT.

The next generation of Home-Gateway devices is rapidly nearing, though, and they're more than capable of 1G speeds
from WAN to LAN, and multi-stream 802.11ac WiFi as well.

BUT - I've got a mini-ATX home-brewed firewall with PCI gig ports, and I'm still concerned about through-put.

But the real concern, of course, is what happens when you have a few thousand, or a few tens-of-thousands of
1Gb/s-connected devices - with a potential max of the mostly industry-standard 20:1 downstream:upstream ratio - of 50mb/s
all sending DDoS traffic outbound towards some poor unsuspecting server…