[aklug] Re: Anyone have a spare mechanical/IBM keyboard?

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2015 - 15:15:43 AKDT

On 8/20/15 14:06 PM, Lee Brumbaugh wrote:
> So my trusty MS Ergo keyboard v1 is dying. It's been a good ride but
> keys are starting to stick and not registering at times unless I jab
> the key a bunch and then it'll start working. That being the case
> I've started looking into replacement keyboards, and let me tell you,
> like all things, you can get lost in it. I've been trolling keyboard
> forums and have decided to try a mechanical or get an old 1980's IBM
> keyboard. You know the ones that can wake the house. Oh the glory
> days of keyboards :)
>
> Mechanical seem to be the cousin of the old IBMers in that they can be
> not quite as loud but still better tactile feeling then current laptop
> or rubber domed innards just don't have. Plus they supposedly don't
> produce as much finger fatigue and might actually help with RSI
> although that might be some wishful thinking on some people.
>
> Long story short, I was wondering if anyone has any old keyboards
> tucked away in a closet/attic/garage/basement/shed that needs a new
> home. To be upfront as possible, the old keyboards are actually
> fetching $75+ online. I'm not sure I'm willing to purchase one for
> that much unless I really do get to try one out. Or if a kind soul
> has one they'd want to donate to a "good" cause I'd gladly come and
> fetch it.
>

> /Lee Brumbaugh/

Have you tried disconecting your keyboard and giving it a bath? I've
washed more than a few keyboards successfully - water is a good
solvent. Let it soak, exercise the keys (while in the tub), change the
bath water a couple of times. I usually give the keyboard a final soak
in deionized or distilled water to avoid shorting via mineral deposits.
Warning: this probably will not work with many laptop keyboards or
keyboards that use capacitance.

--greg