[aklug] Compare/contrast two minipcs

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Aug 20 2015 - 11:54:47 AKDT

Minipcs are for me, a welcome alternative to towers.
I like barebones also.

I've got a mac mini (2011) now, and look forward to getting back to
linux system minipc. I've got ubuntu 14.04 dual-booted, but still
use OS X primarily because I don't trust mac's EFI.

Here are two barebone minis
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFF74MW/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-6&pf_rd_r=00XC9PQEV430NEWWB2DG&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2090148982&pf_rd_i=desktop
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VUTOB1O/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i9?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=0JBPXKJBV27FX25DTWZ5&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

the second is fanless. Seems like a good thing to me.
Both are sdd compatible, also seems like a good thing..

the processors are compared here:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4200U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4030U

I don't do any gaming. My primary usage would be
gui
  mostly
    Firefox
    Libreoffice
  occasionally
    gvim
        emacs
text-based
  terminal emulator
  mc (with vim as default editor)
  text-based emacs.

And I would probably install lubuntu, with fluxbox as my primary
(but not only) window manager.

For either machine, I'd go with 16 GB Ram

I have oodles of external storage, so don't need a big drive, but
solid state would be my first choice.

Any and all comments (excepting political or religious) are welcome
and invited.

cheers

--
Tim