[aklug] the state of Alaskan web TLS

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Mon Aug 17 2015 - 07:12:49 AKDT

It's not done, but it's Done Enough to publish a bad first draft.

    http://www.techsolvency.com/tls/

Goal: show Alaskan geeks their HTTPS posture, and hopefully to improve
overall Alaskan TLS health.

Methodology: I'm using my Alaskan domain list and scans.io's public
DNS dumps to track down Alaskan HTTPS hosts and use the API for the
Qualys SSL Labs Server Test.

Usability: Wide monitor recommended; I'm working on a way to customize
which columns are shown, but it's a ways off yet. I'll move this to
back-end searching when I can, but I didn't want to wait on getting
the info out there. Also, the search box is waaay too slow - anyone
want to contribute a JavaScript fix to add some delay between start of
typing and the filter? Workaround: paste in the entire search string
from your paste buffer instead.

Access: The scan results are currently only accessible from what I
know to be Alaskan IP space. If you can't get there, there's a custom
404 that will tell you how to let me know so that I can fix it.

*Please* help by forwarding this to the Alaskan geeks that you know
who need this info to secure their systems!

Royce