[aklug] Alaskan domains list

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Fri Jun 12 2015 - 07:10:44 AKDT

It's very crude, and contains some obviously non-Alaskan domains, but
it's a start:

    http://www.techsolvency.com/alaskan-domains-list/

I consider it to be an Alaskan domain if it satisfies one of the
following criteria:

- The majority of the domain's hosts are in IP space owned by an
Alaska company; or
- The company represented by the domain is Alaskan owned and operated; or
- The host is one that is primarily used by Alaskans.

For example, if there's a company up here that is primarily based in
Alaska but also has a Portland office, I'm interested in knowing about
that company's domains. This also includes one-host domains hosted
Outside, because the site itself is likely to be visited primarily by
Alaskans.

Not listed yet are "mixed" domains for which significant hosts are
present in Alaska, but there is also non-Alaskan footprint (like
providence.org, crowley.com, northwindgrp.com, etc.) I will be
tracking these separately to identify Alaskan hosts on a case by case
basis.

Note that this is domains, not hosts - hosts will be tracked separately.

Contributions and corrections welcome - drop me a note. I'm
especially interested in help identifying non-Alaskan hosts in my
current list, and adding any missing domains that are obviously
Alaskan.

My overall mission here is to provide resources for Alaskan geeks to
compare notes about their overall infrastructure, including security
posture. I'll also be reviving my project to track Alaskan IP space.

Royce