[aklug] Re: Check my headers (I.P. blacklisted)

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Mon Apr 06 2015 - 09:28:41 AKDT

On 04/04/2015 07:33 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net> [150403 20:23]:
>> Send an email directly to me at my work address so it doesn't get
>> filtered via the mailing list: "kevin . miller@juneau.org" (slightly
>> munged to thwart robo-harvesting) - I'll see what our spam filters do
>> with it. I don't use spamrat so it should come through fine unless
>> there's another issue.
>>
>> Be sure to send via the mail server that you're having issues with.
> Done.
>> Looking at your headers, you're saying your host is tj49.com, but the IP
>> resolves to "191-232-4-64.mtaonline.net" so it looks to a mail server
>> that you're forging your hostname. They should match.

>> by lib.uaa.alaska.edu (Postfix) with ESMTP id AB3B460E31
>> for <aklug@aklug.org>; Fri, 3 Apr 2015 11:59:30 -0800 (AKDT)
>>
>> A common practice is to name an outbound mail server something like
>> smtp.tj49.com. Configure postfix to identify itself as that during the
>> initial connection (HELO/EHLO). Then make sure you have an A record and
>> a PTR record in DNS for your hostname. Do not use a CNAME.
>>
>> The other option is to configure your postfix to authenticate to your
>> ISPs mailhost, and use it as a smarthost to relay from your server to
>> the rest of the world.
> As you will see, I have included some lines from main.cnf, but I
> might ask for you guidance in how to do that.
> thanks

Historically I've always used sendmail, so Postfix is a bit of a black
box to me (although I'm switching over to in the near future).

But see this page:
https://www.serverpronto.com/kb/page.php?id=Postfix+-+Using+a+Smarthost+to+relay+email+
(watch the line wrap)

It looks like all you have to do is add a line to mail.cf
   relayhost = SOMESERVER.mtaonline.com
I'm not sure what the name of their outbound server is - they should be
able to tell you.

You may not need to relay through them, as I see in the mail list that
you got your forward and reverse DNS records to match now. That's great.

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska