[aklug] Re: Check my headers (I.P. blacklisted)

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Fri Apr 03 2015 - 19:54:00 AKDT

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 7:41 PM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
> * Josh Reynolds <josh@spitwspots.com> [150403 19:22]:
>> If you really have had that static IP for that long... I have an idea.
>>
>> Register a domain, if you don't already have one. Request that MTA SWIP
>> the info on your static over to you, and in turn you request that they
>> change the PTR records for the IP to something like mx.yourdomain.org
>>
>> It's worth a shot.
> The shot has been fired. I own several domains, including the one
> associated with my email address, which is also my semi-retired
> business. Royce has already brought that up to me OTL and MTA says
> "NO". They are not willing to exercise any kind of creative
> solution.

I can see where they might only SWIP it to you if it's bigger than a
certain size.

But not changing DNS for a static IP? That's *really* weird. Most
ISPs include reverse DNS of your choosing when you're paying extra for
a static. Many businesses have statics for the express purpose of
making sure that their forward and reverse DNS match for their
outbound email source IP, with a name something like
"mail.example.net" or similar.

According to this link, MTA says this about their static IPs (for
their business-grade connections):

https://www.mtasolutions.com/business/internet/packages

Quoting:

- Static IP Address
Identify your business on the Internet with a set IP address that
doesn't change.

* Host your website (with your own server), email or FTP service.
* Allow employees remote access via a virtual private network (VPN).
* Connect multiple office locations or LANs.
* Conduct e-commerce on your website.

The only way that they can support the first bullet point is by
changing the DNS PTR record for that static IP to be whatever the
customer wants.

So they can clearly do it. Why won't they do it for you?

Royce