[aklug] Re: Gnu/Linux on the SOHO?

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue Feb 17 2015 - 11:08:36 AKST

* Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com> [150217 09:38]:
> I was wondering, since there are a broad range of Alaskans on this
> list: Do you know of any places in Alaska where Gnu/Linux is
> succeeding, or even being used, on the SOHO level? I mean,
> particularly, small businesses that do not do I.T. as their main
> business. From my job search efforts in Fairbanks, I've got the
> impression that most small business owners have never even heard of
> it. But maybe things are different in Anchorage.
>
> (Incidentally, I've more or less given up hope of finding an actual
> I.T. job in Fairbanks -- the market is horrible as usual. And now that
> UA is plunging into the red and laying off right and left, it is
> pretty tough getting into anything at UAF. Oh, if only I had been an
> accounting major! It seems like one out of every two businesses in
> Fairbanks needs a bookkeeper.)

  By SOHO, I take it that you are referring to business offices? If
  so, I doubt that you are going to find Linux offices, but Telcos
  and other communications businesses use Linux a bunch, I'm pretty
  sure and there are several such employees on this list and maybe
  they would like to put in their two cents worth.

  My former business partner went to work for GCI, writes perl from
  home for the most part. (telecommuting)

--
Tim