[aklug] Re: OLD MACHINES & linux

From: <bryanm@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sat Feb 14 2015 - 18:23:57 AKST

On Sat, February 14, 2015 5:18 pm, Jeremy Austin wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 7:23 AM, Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> wrote:
>> Buy a Kill-A-Watt and measure the power consumption. You might get as much
>> usefulness out of a small-form-factor machine or even a Pi, for $15 less per
>> month - would pay for itself in three.
>
> I've got to second Royce's point here. Old machines are great for
> learning/experimenting with, but don't underestimate how quickly
> wasted power adds up. Same thing happened with the switch from CRT
> monitors to LCDs.

I agree that power consumption is an important thing to look at.
(Though I haven't really measured much, so I agree more in principle.)

Direct measurement, though, would mean buying n machines, installing,
configuring, and using them, then measuring the power usage and returning
the n-1 machines that don't make the cut. What's the better (practical)
way of finding low-consumption options?

--
Bryan Medsker
bryanm@acsalaska.net