[aklug] Re: Multi-OS scanner/printer

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Mon Jan 12 2015 - 10:11:59 AKST

On 01/11/2015 02:07 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Hi All :
>
> My wife wants a scanner and I felt that a wireless printer/scanner
> would be the way to go.
>
> I think most on this list have had more experience with such units
> than we have so, I'd welcome what you might think of the following:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/HP-5530-Wireless-Color-Printer/dp/B00DGHO3NY/ref=sr_1_37?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1421016522&sr=1-37&keywords=scanner+linux
>
> We use ubuntu 12.04, xubuntu 12.04, and Mac OS 10.7

I forget the model, but we dumped our HP inkjet (Officejet 6300 series
or something like that) and got a Brother laser/fax/scanner/copier. It
was around $450 IIRC and is only black and white, not color but I'm sure
we've paid for it with the savings in ink cartridges. I don't recall
the model off the top of my head.

It's wireless for printing. For scanning I use USB. I think it may be
able to scan to a Windows desktop if you install the requisite software
on the Windows box but normally I just scan to my Linux box (Kubuntu 12.04).

The one quirk is when I start Xsane, and click on the "preview scan"
button it initially fails and pops up an error message. I close that
and click on the "Preview Scan" a 2nd time and it works as advertised.
No idea why it fails and never had the fortitude to research it. An
extra mouse click is a cheap enough fix for me...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska