[aklug] Re: Multi-OS scanner/printer

From: WestonandSuzy Howard <westonandsuzyhoward@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 12 2015 - 06:25:27 AKST

Tim,
 To wrap it all up, I checked my settings here at work. Turns out you
wont need to edit the backends if you have the latest and greatest
HPLIP. I thought I had edited mine, but that must have been for the
cannon printer we had before the HP 8600. I thought it was an 8500, but
it is an 8600. If you install the printer through CUPS, it will not
work as a scanner until you run hp-setup from the command line.

Install instructions are here:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/debian.html

We got an HP 8600 all in wonder and I use my work laptop over the
wireless network to scan from it. One side note, after you install HPLIP, then
run hp-setup as a non-root user. If you run as root, it will tell you
you shouldn't and may not detect anything.

$ hp-setup -i

 Then, you can choose the second option (which is option 1) for
network setup, and just follow the script. If you installed per above
instructions, xsane will automatically detect it over the network when
you start xsane.
 If it doesn't, check the /etc/default/saned file and make sure

RUN=yes

 then, restart your saned service.

 So, the long way around answering your question is: Greg is right, HP
has great Linux support. Debian and Ubuntu are very similar, so the
above instructions for installation should work great, but you can
check with your distro.
 Although, you probably already knew all that, and just wanted to know
what we thought of the printer. :)
Hope that helps, and I'll try to work on making shorter posts....