[aklug] Re: Multi-OS scanner/printer

From: WestonandSuzy Howard <westonandsuzyhoward@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jan 11 2015 - 18:35:47 AKST

Tim,
 At work I use an HP8500 to scan and print over the network. Greg is
correct, you are making a wise choice to stick with HP, their support
is great for Linux machines.
 If you use the HPLIP tool:

# hp-setup -i

 You can choose option 2 for a network printer, and then set it up for
printing and scanning.
 Fortunately, once you do this, you do not need a USB cable to scan,
as you can set xsane to scan over the network by editing this file:

# nano /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf

You can look up the backend that you need, I'll check when I get to
work tomorrow for which one I use, as HP 8500's are not "supported"
backends, but still work just fine. Essentially, you punch in a
backend://ipaddress:portnumber for your scanner and then save the
file. Reboot the computer (or restart the sane service) and you can
scan over the network to a standalone all-in-wonder hp scanner/printer
with xsane. Works like a champ at my work, using Debian Wheezy.
-Weston