[aklug] Re: Why I Hate Frameworks - Funny

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Dec 19 2014 - 13:45:41 AKST

* Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com> [141218 18:45]:
> Came across this funny spoof about programming, called "Why I Hate
> Frameworks":
>
> http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.219431.12&
>
> It was quoted in this other article I'm reading about why OOP is a
> paradigm disaster:
>
> http://www.smashcompany.com/technology/object-oriented-programming-is-an-expensive-disaster-which-must-end
  The link above appears (IMHO) to be a study in tedious arguments.

  Furthermore, I note the following:

  "All of this complexity is expensive: the more bloated the code
  becomes, the more work is needed to maintain it. Functional
  languages such as Haskell, Erlang and Clojure offer powerful
  approaches to the problems that software developers have always
  faced. "

  Clojure? WTF over, isn't it built on top of Java?
  'nuf said.

  One of the greatest tragedies in programming is the total bungling
  of rebol. (Developed by one of the greatest programmers of his
  generation - Carl Sassenrath - who developed the Amiga OS and had
  a crap-load of startup money - I have a niece who used to work for
  him).

  Now there is a small footprint system! And amazingly versatile.
  FP - if you want it.
  OOP - if you want it.
  Prolog-style logic - if you want it.
  Symbolic programming if you want it.
  and in every case *only* if you want it.

  Rebol came out about the same time as PHP. Given his cred if
  Sassenrath had pushed it, we might have rebol instead of PHP,
  and it would be a better world for that.

  Grrr!

--
Tim