[aklug] Re: Why I Hate Frameworks - Funny

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Fri Dec 19 2014 - 11:21:14 AKST

* Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com> [141218 18:45]:
> Came across this funny spoof about programming, called "Why I Hate
> Frameworks":
>
> http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.219431.12&
>
> It was quoted in this other article I'm reading about why OOP is a
> paradigm disaster:
>
> http://www.smashcompany.com/technology/object-oriented-programming-is-an-expensive-disaster-which-must-end
  <rant>
  What follows is a fable :
  So, we have some cars built from scratch by a team.
    We can presume that each team member pretty much understands
        how each car is built - from bottom up.

  Then we have some cars built on assembly lines with real human
    beans doing discrete portions of the work.

  Now, for the most part we have assembly lines where human beans
  manage robots on assembly lines. The human beans have only to
    know how to manage the robots and we presume that the robots
        are flawlessly programmed.

  What's more, Ford robots are managed differently and have
  different user interfaces than Chevy, Nissan etc..

  19 years ago, I started doing CGI programming from scratch.
  I built my own framework (sort of).
  I use drupal (giant software bureacracy - bow down to the great
  god PHP!)
  I've started looking into flask - more my cup of think, I think.

  In the meantime, the use of frameworks means one can get "up and
  running" in short times with components that may or may not be
  secure and may or may not work in their next iteration/version.

  My Dad was born in a sod house, I swear sometimes I just might end
  my time on earth in one. Or I might *have* to given what the sony
  hack should teach us.
  </rant>

--
Tim