[aklug] Re: Acer Aspire One D250 Wireless problems[solved]

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Mon Dec 01 2014 - 13:03:43 AKST

* Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> [141125 15:20]:
> I've got a "rescue netbook" here bequeathed by one of my 'kids' for
> my wife's use when she travels.
>
> When my daughter had it she used windows 7 and told me that the
> wireless was entirely reliable.
>
> I put lubunt 41.04 on it and had problems with the wireless
> connection being unreliable - one time I might have a wireless
> connection and see wlan0 in ifconfig and the next it would be gone,
> wlan0 would be gone from ifconfig.
>
> In such a case I would plug in ethernet, get a connection and then
> when I rebooted the netbook, wlan0 would be visible and so would
> wireless connections.
<...>
  I hope that everyone had a good Thanksgiving. When I added
  'solved' to the subject line, it is in the spirit of "A good
  retreat beats a bad stand".

  After modifying the blacklist - with
  the hope of reducing conflicts, I found that I was living with the
  following :

  Booting from a cold start (I.E. netbook has been turned off for
  some time), wlan0 is not found. With an immediate reboot and subsequent
  reboots, wlan0 *is* found.

  One could presume an incipient hardware failure.

  I ordered an external adapter.
  Case closed.
  cheers

--