[aklug] Re: Xubuntu bloat 14.04

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave+lists.aklug@caterva.org>
Date: Thu Nov 20 2014 - 18:58:44 AKST

* Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com> [2014-11-20 14:24 -0500]:
>People burn CD images still?

Yep.

>Ubiquitous USB boot support is pretty much killing CDs for restoral.
>
>And the very few systems that don't support booting from USB will
>boot from CD and then transfer off to USB quite easily.
>
>so... why constrain yourself to "floppies" when a "hard disk" will do?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/6896095/this-published-hack-could-be-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-usb

While I recognize that this article is somewhat "FUD"ish, there is some
truth: USB is (and inherently has been) impossible to secure (as spec'd).

CDs are still (probably) safer than trusting USB keys.

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]