[aklug] Problems dual-booting with Mac Mini

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Mon Sep 29 2014 - 17:41:31 AKDT

Hi You all - time for some digging into linux.

I've noted that there are some Mac users on this list and I'm
relatively green when it comes to the mac.

I have had ubuntu 12.04 installed on my Mac Mini for several months and working
fine. Now my system fails to boot ubuntu.

Here are symptoms :

Using the boot manager (pressing ALT/OPTION key on startup)
3 Icons :
1) EFI Boot (starts up rEFInd)
2) Windows HD (Instead of Linux Logo) - if selected, just a black screen
3) If the install USB is plugged in, shows as Windows USB, if selected - black
screen again

If EFI boot is selected or if I let the system start up rEFInd I get the
following selections
1)Apple - and if selected boots into OS X 10.7
2)Penguin Icon with "Boot Linux from FAT Volume" as label
3)Penguin Icon with "Boot Linux from Linus 2" as label
NOTE : "Linus" is the label for my hard drive

4) If I have the install USB plugged in, then I will see a USB Icon labeled as
"Boot Legacy OS From FAT Volume" selections of 2 - thru 4 fail to produce
anything but first a Penguin Icon and then if I press the CONTROL key - a black
screen.

I just removed rEFIt and installed rEFInd. Prior to that I was after numerous
attempts and head scratching able to boot into ubuntu and I ran boot-repair
with diagnostics - the post repair diagnostics can be seen at
http://paste.ubuntu.com/8451835/

And here is the output from diskutil

linus:~ tim$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
   #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
   0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
   1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
   2: Apple_HFS Linus 359.2 GB disk0s2
   3: Microsoft Basic Data 42.0 GB disk0s3
   4: Linux Swap 8.5 GB disk0s4
   5: Microsoft Basic Data 69.0 GB disk0s5
   6: Microsoft Basic Data 21.0 GB disk0s6

Gawd, I hate using OS X, it runs like a broke-down animule compared to fluxbox
on ubuntu, sheesh....

--
Tim