[aklug] Re: Debian Birthday Aug 16, 2014

From: Mark Bolzern <mark@nusalaska.com>
Date: Sun Aug 17 2014 - 13:13:51 AKDT

In 1995 as I was a couple years into producing LinuxPro based on Slackware,
I tried to talk Patrick into adding System V package management to
Slackware. He was not interested, so I attempted to use Debian but it still
had way too far to go. So I adopted Marc Ewing's RPM instead, as I
continued to also contribute to Debian and built Linux International. LI
went through some transitions but what I built there together with Bob
Young, Jon Maddog Hall, Larry Augustine, Linus and many more is now known
as the Linux Foundation.

Congratulations on all these years of improvement Debian... finally a few
versions into Ubuntu I have been able to wholeheartedly adopt Debian as a
primary building block of the Industrial Control SCADA systems I am now
building.