[aklug] virtual networking

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu Aug 14 2014 - 09:11:13 AKDT

List has been a little quiet, so I'll share what I've been working
on...

Been playing around with virtual networking, with qemu 2.* from Wheezy
backports. First learned how to set up tap interfaces and software
bridges (brctl), which worked but was a little cumbersome. So looked
into network simulation packages available for Wheezy. GNS3 didn't
work properly for me. I had success with Virtualbricks after tweaking
the configuration a little bit, and getting a qemuwrapper script from
the Virtualbrick source code for the virtualbrick version I had
installed.

Right now, I've got a small network with a vyatta 6.6 system and a
tinycore 5.3 system. I'm working through the Brocade vyatta
documentation to learn the vyatta
interface. <http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/vyatta/vyatta_5400_manual/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=Basic%20System/UsingTheCLI.2.02.html#1747814>