[aklug] Re: RouterBoard

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Jun 24 2014 - 20:55:37 AKDT

On Tue, 24 Jun 2014 18:49:04 -0800
William McKinney <wdmckinney@me.com> wrote:

> Mikrotik has been around for a long time, and is quite proprietary.
>
> a.
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/376717/how-to-set-up-a-linux-server-as-a-router
> b. http://www.lartc.org/ c.http://www.zeroshell.org/
> d. https://openwrt.org
> e. http://www.freesco.org/

Forgive me a touch of frustration... it is all nice and wonderful to
be able to throw out a list of several of the dozen or two Linux
router distros out there... but it would be more helpful if we could
point to one or two of them that actually sold ready to go hardware,
with software pre-installed, and transceiver modules ready to be
plugged in, to meet your middle-sized business or enterprise needs.

Say, I find out I am going to need 12 VLANs, with fiber trunks, and
router-on-stick, and OSPF, and radius authentication, and ACLs, and
port security, and config sharing, and neighbor discovery, etc.,
etc... Personally, I'd like to be able to look at Web page that lists
all the specs of the hardware, the prices, along with reassurances
that the software is preinstalled, with all necessary drivers
functioning, and the system has a straightforward and reasonably easy
to master interface.

For a guy who is in the process of getting into the Net Tech field, it
seems like we are really falling short in this area. If I'm wrong, I'd
be glad to learn more about what's out there...

(Somebody else mentioned VyOS... Again, if you can point me to the
vendor site with hardware specs and prices, I'd be grateful.)