[aklug] Re: [OT] Need pointers so I can avoid killing one of my kids

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Wed May 07 2014 - 07:24:10 AKDT

On 05/06/2014 11:07 PM, Kurt Brendgard wrote:
> Any and all input welcome, even flames.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Kurt

Kurt, I bought (A while ago) an MViX device, which will play a number of
video formats. While mvix (www.mvixusa.com) have gone on to change
their strategy to not include these types of media devices anymore,
there are a number of them available (I think Western Digital sells one)
that act just like a media PC. They have space for a built-in hard
drive, but you can also connect USB drives, and even use CIFs shares on
your local network (wireless too!), and it will play them.

Best part: It has a remote. So, you can just use a remote control
instead of a keyboard and mouse. The MVIx device doesn't "share" the
media it is connected to, but if you have a PC running all the time (I
do) it's easy enough to avoid getting out DVDs if you can just play them
via the mvix.

Just an idea for you right there...

--
Adam