[aklug] Re: DynDNS no longer free

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Tue May 06 2014 - 11:18:34 AKDT

Stuff worth mentioning:

I use ngrok to set up tunnels which is sometimes more useful than a dynamic
IP. It can be 'self hosted' along with some fun DNS quirks. If you want
to roll your own tunnel server or use theirs it can be arranged either way.

I use CloudFlare for my DNS. They offer a lot of bells and whistles and
can act as a front end HTTP proxy and SSL handler which is imperative for
my webworkery. They also have an API so you can quickly update DNS
entries. It's free if you don't need the SSL bits (and some other stuff).
 It's a great service.. good company IMHO.

I've attempted to use FreeDNS and a few others out there and found them
very difficult to use. No-IP is very limited and spammy. They love to
talk to you.. they love to tell you you have limits.

I'd found a few other sites that allowed you to do dynamic DNS but forgot
to bookmark them. Some had relatively short TLDs which made me happy. I'd
be super interested in compiling a list if somebody else has started one as
well.

- Shane