[aklug] Re: Data recovery

From: Josh Rhoades <kaiden11@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 06 2014 - 16:30:16 AKST

Seconded on the foremost.

A terrible experience a few years ago demonstrated MP3s pose a problem for
data carving: the format has "frames," such that two MP3 files can, in
theory, be concatenated, and be considered a single file without having to
re-encode.

The result was that a recovery process that was looking for start/end
patterns in the drive blocks, though mostly successful, ended up with half
of the songs in a music collection starting with one song and ending with
another. My friend wasn't super thrilled.