[aklug] Re: resuming borked sessions

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Mon Feb 24 2014 - 06:14:37 AKST

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:56 AM, Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM, Christopher Howard
> <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> wrote:

>> Has anyone every heard of a protocol (or perhaps some reconfiguration of a TCP/IP protocol) below the application layer which allows (stateful) sessions to be resumed after an extended break in the connection (e.g., hours or even days). Again, below the application layer is the idea here, though perhaps the application layer protocol would need to be accommodating in some way (e.g., not crashing if no data was received from the other application).

> Try Mosh.

[snip]

And if you're (understandably) like, "meh, another protocol", this
significant Linux celebrity endorsement may sway you. From the Mosh
news roll:

March 24, 2013: The Debian Project Leader switches to Mosh. Welcome,
Stefano! We're proud to have you.

... which links to
https://twitter.com/zacchiro/status/315893796695064576 , which is:

Stefano Zacchiroli@zacchiro

now #mosh powered and not looking back. For an academic read on the
subject, the paper is highly recommended http://ur1.ca/d5rqo

... And this guy might still be stuck in an elevator without Mosh:

http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw.lite?gopher://sdf.org:70/0/users/irl/blog/2012-08-22-mosh-in-a-lift.md

Then, mosh and the SDF MetaArray to the rescue. mosh can cope
with this high level of packet loss and worked a hell of a lot better
than I'd expected to. I managed to get logged in to the SDF MetaArray,
open mutt and send an email. Within minutes, the fire brigade had been
called and were on their way to rescue me.

:-)

Royce