[aklug] resuming borked sessions

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sun Feb 23 2014 - 21:52:38 AKST

Recently I was curious about something:

Has anyone every heard of a protocol (or perhaps some reconfiguration of
a TCP/IP protocol) /below/ the application layer which allows (stateful)
sessions to be resumed after an /extended/ break in the connection
(e.g., hours or even days). Again, /below/ the application layer is the
idea here, though perhaps the application layer protocol would need to
be accommodating in some way (e.g., not crashing if no data was received
from the other application).

E.g., when I use suspend on my desktop system, and resume a few hours
later, nearly everything comes back up just as it was... applications,
processes, local device mounts. The OS would be more than happy to
continue sending data out the networking connections, as though nothing
had happened, but of course the connections have long ago died on the
other end.

--
http://www.lugod.org/presentations/pgp/why.html