[aklug] Re: brick phones

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 09 2014 - 22:38:42 AKST

I fail to understand why the carriers can't simply deny service to any
imei# that is reported stolen.

It seems like if the carriers were to simply deny service to stolen phones,
it would take away the incentive to steal them.

Yeah, I've heard that imei#'s can be altered, but I'm also under the
impression that only more sophisticated criminal groups have the ability
(smarts?) to do this. I don't believe most phones are stolen by people who
have the wherewithal to do this.