[aklug] Re: Linux on a laptop

From: Jason McEachen <jason@brightshinyobject.com>
Date: Mon Nov 11 2013 - 01:44:59 AKST

Every time I change jobs I get issued a new laptop and have to pick one
that fits the budget and supports whatever flavor of linux I'm enjoying
at that time (right now it's kubuntu). For me the trick is to find some
laptops from different vendors that have all the
USB/HDMI/VGA/bluetooth/audio/whatever ports I need in my price range.
I'm not interested in games, which helps. Then I just start googling
the support forums to figure out which ones have the best support/fewest
quirks for linux.

The biggest problem I find is display drivers. My current gig issued me
an XPS15z which is swell for speed. Except it turns out I can only run
two displays at a time (it has three display ports), which really slows
me down since I'm a screen real-estate whore. Otherwise everything
(dell, hp, acer) have always pretty much "just worked."

My primary laptop is huge (17" display) which makes it useless on a
plane unless I've got a bulkhead seat. For travel (in the airplane
cabin, long road trips) I just have a little Dell Vostro 1320 running
Knoppix on a *tiny* 16G USB drive (barely sticks out of the case) and a
spare battery.

Hope something I said was helpful,

--Jason