[aklug] Re: !~

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Thu Oct 31 2013 - 23:13:55 AKDT

On 10/31/2013 11:04 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2013, Greg Schmitz wrote:
>
>> That's a silly argument Arthur; I was just reading the Federal
>> Registry from 1964 today. How does the natural of ability of some
>> individuals trump history or circumstance? Talk about "straw dogs." I
>> would commend to you one of the books that has informed the way I
>> think about things: ESSENCE OF DECISION by Graham T. Alison (the
>> inventor of modern game theory) any edition is enlightening. Last
>> time I checked history was still relevant to our nation which claims
>> to be built on laws not only for it's historical value but the social
>> consequences that ensue if the public is aware of history (and our
>> Judicial branch takes both under consideration when rendering
>> decisions). Do you really think that ANCSA would have been successful
>> without the books, BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE or CUSTER DIED FOR
>> YOUR SINS or the American Indian Movement (AIM) and all the folks
>> that read those books while realizing that we were slaughtering
>> civilians thousands of miles away? Your approach to contemporary
>> problems and how "things work" is amiss I think
>
> You know, for someone who likes to toss book names out there you seem to
> show a remarkable lack of reading comprehension towards anything I write.
> Not sure what to make of that, but you might take off the idealogical
> blinders for a moment and think about what I'm saying, rather launching
> opinions based on predisposition. We have broached on a few areas we
> agree
> on, but it's obvious that the effect those areas have on each of our
> psyches
> are about 180 degrees opposite.
>
> You seem obsessed with assuming guilt. That's a *you* problem, not a *me*
> problem. I prefer to focus my energies in areas of influence I can
> actually
> affect, and take personal responsibility for *my* actions. Proponents of
> government control and interference, however, seem to want little to
> do with
> personal responsibility.
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

I don't see it as guilt (your attribution). I see it as pragmatism if
one considers, for example, how the courts have used history and how
folks might react the BS we are being fed - and I'm not referring to
government. I'm not directing my arguments towards you only towards the
arguments you have made. Speaking only for myself I'm aware of politik
and real politik and how both work. How things work now - and how things
will work out are not the same thing.

--greg

--
Greg Schmitz
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association (AMIPA)