[aklug] !~

From: Nathan Templeton <pb280c@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue Oct 29 2013 - 19:41:02 AKDT

I can see both sides of this one here. Multimedia support with linux has
really been a "hotbed" issue for years as one of the cataylsts to get it
to be a main stream OS. Albiet, something it was never really created to
do. But that is neither here nor there. I agree that DCMA (?), I was
speed reading, so I might have the letters wrong; is truly nothing more
than a way for those with the power to make more money.

Good for them, that might get me flamed a bit, but here is the thing. If
you are hooked onto a cashcow that is paying for your house in the
Hamptons and a new Range Rover in your driveway each year, would you not
find a way to "lock it down" and make it viable income? This has nothing
to do with whether it is right or not. That is up to a moral debate that
has little to do with any OS and more with the moral compass of a given
group of people. It was posted a bit back in this thread that there are
now commercial entities selling software to play dvd's on linux. It is a
link in the money trail that exploits the grey area that most live in
when it comes to using the "renegade os" :).

Have I loaded the libdvdcss libs into my installs? Of course! I love me
some Scrubs when I am trying to find out what I fracked in grub with my
latest foray into harkerland. Do I care a moment about it? Nope. I do
not. Should I? I really think not. If you have done your homework,
locked your network down, and keep up on it, your linux box and/or
network should really be a bastion of safe. I know there are kinks and
quirks that can always find flaws in that logic. But it simply comes
down to this for me: 1. I run linux because it lets me do what I want to
do, the way I want to do it. 2. I am not locked down into the confindes
of DRM or other such rubbish for the simple fact that I do not see the
world as black and white. Whether anyone will admit it, we live in grey.
It was mentioned as well the what some see as laws, facts, realites, as
still left up to us individually to understand. I might not condone
breaking the rules, but when the rules. But when those rules where set
up by the people I mentioned above to line their pockets with dollars
without a moments worth of work? Then my friends, turn about is fair play.

But that is niether here nor there, and take it as you will.

~nathan