[aklug] Re: GoPro/Cineform with Linux

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Fri Oct 25 2013 - 21:04:07 AKDT

Thanks Mike!

I don't think there is an open source Linux implimentation for the
Cineform codec ('CFHD' FOURCC code). Kdenlive is built on FFMPEG, as are
many, if not most, Linux video tools. I am not aware of any FFMPEG
libraries that can deal with CFHD. In the case of the Kdenlive link you
posted, I think the author is saving the file in another codec, perhaps
RAW format rather than using the Cineform codec; this I believe is
possible using the "Protune" feature on some GoPro cameras. I don't own
a GoPro camera btw. The file I'm working with, from a motion picture
film scanner, contains frames that are about 3.8K and is compressed
using the Cineform codec.

Best --greg

On 10/25/2013 11:10 AM, barsalou wrote:
> here is another one I found shortly after:
>
> http://www.goprofanatics.com/editing-software/3183-manual-gopro-protune-correction-linux-kdenlive.html
>

> So now you have two possibilities, Kdenlive and OpenShot.
>
> Mike B.
> Quoting Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>:
>

>> GoPro <http://gopro.com/> bought out Cineform some years back.
>> Cineform was always hostile to the Open Source community and that still
>> seems to be the case under GoPro. Anybody here have any experience
>> working with GoPro/Cineform from a GoPro camera (Cineform is the codec)
>> on a Linux or Unix platform?
>>
>> --greg
>>

>> ---------
>> with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.

Greg Schmitz
Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association (AMIPA)
Anchorage, Alaska
v: 907.786.4983
f: 907.786.1834
e: greg at amipa dot org
The Alaska Moving Image Preservation Association is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to media preservation and education to ensure long-term access to Alaska’s moving image heritage.
www.amipa.org