[aklug] Re: OFFTOPIC: Re: Re: ACS Google Gateway

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sat Oct 19 2013 - 13:51:16 AKDT

* Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> [131019 13:29]:
> On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Arthur Corliss
> <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org> wrote:
>
> > I hold it to be true, and find it laughably easy to support, that most of
> > what our modern government does damages our country and undermines our
> > children's future.
>
> This Venn diagram may help us to find common ground, I would think.
>
> http://politicalfun.blogspot.com/2012/12/common-ground.html
  The diagram really does nail down something fundamental. However I
  take exception to the definition of "liberal" on the right. I'm
  going to come out of the closet for a "Chinatown" moment and say
  that I am

  1)Conservative
  2)Liberal
  3)Moderate

  not by proportion and not by numerical ranking - but because I
  don't endure a self-enforced private bureacracy by forcing myself
  into some kind of a box labeled "1)","2)" or "3)".

  At one time I served on the board of directors of a Women's
  Shelter (liberal?) and belonged to a "tea party prototype"
  (conservative?). I observed that most members of both groups were
  goose-stepping in lockstep to some self-description which locked
  them into thinking by rote rather than for themselves.

  _AND_ the problem with this ML veering into politics is that
  there is no real metric for beating each other up over conflicting
  political opinions. It's just one individual attempting to
  overpower another with the sheer force of words.

  At least with technological issues the outcomes are better
  demonstrated and have some kind of a metric to apply.

  And god help us when we get computers powerful enough to make
  political arguments...

  OK: time for me to write some code with demonstrable results that
  can be measured and prune trees where I can non-ambiguously view
  the cuttings.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com