[aklug] Re: SSL "health" in Alaska (was: ACS Google Gateway)

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Sun Oct 13 2013 - 15:33:01 AKDT

On 10/13/2013 05:48 AM, Royce Williams wrote:
> Greg, for what it's worth, neither of those domains do much of
> anything other than redirect to other sites, most of which aren't
> doing SSL. Ditto for attalascom.com, as Arthur pointed out
> off-thread.
>
> That being said, mymail.acsalaska.net doesn't have SSL, but should.
> As it was explained to me, implementing the latter would be
> non-trivial, but would have been worth the effort, IMO (though may be
> moot now, as they're moving to Google-hosted mail services).
>
> Is there a case where having local-to-the-ISP caching servers would
> provide Google (and by extension, the Three Letter Agencies)
> information about your connection or traffic that it couldn't get by
> demanding info from Google (which they can do) or demanding info from
> ACS (which they can do)?
>
> Or, since the only thing that Google caches do is cache Google
> content, perhaps you're suggesting that there's correlation info
> available when using Google caches instead of Google's products
> directly? If so, I'm not sure how that would work; could you provide
> a little more detail?
>

> Royce

Royce, my concern is, simply, how aware will Google be of goings on at
ACS because of the Google services and appliances ACS is adding to the
ACS network. I can stop using ACS mail services and I try to limit my
use of Google services. That said I am concerned because ACS, at my
home anyway, is the only way for me to access The Internet. No doubt
ACS had to sign an NDA for both gmail and GGC (Google values its
privacy). I am aware of the issues regarding "Three letter agencies"
but my concern is Google.

Regarding Google's use of NDAs see for example:
http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2013/03/06/the-good-not-so-good-and-long-view-on-google-mail/

--greg