[aklug] Re: New NETGEAR R6300v2 AC 1750 Router

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 02 2013 - 10:58:20 AKDT

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Arthur Corliss
<acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>wrote:

> This Netgear is capable of single client throughput of 1750Mbps. In order
> for that to be possible, though, you have to have a client that has a 2x2
> MIMO attenna setup, plus support for 160MHz channels.

 One reason to get routers to market is that they will may have a longer
installed life. Clients come and go, but I only replace my routers when
they break or a new technology comes along. Ideally.

> Which brings me to my little informal AKLUG poll: what wireless
> capabilities are you guys rocking in your laptops, tablets, etc.? Does
> anyone have 2x2 MIMO wireless NICs, or even better? Can your NICs support
> 160MHz channels, or 80MHz or less? Do most of you already have 802.11ac
> NICs, or is 802.11n more prevalent?

I haven't seen any 802.11ac clients yet, but I have tested and installed
some Apple and Netgear APs, and for add-on NICs I've started to stock
802.11ac.

I've got a Ruckus Wireless ZoneFlex 7982 WAP, myself, which is a 802.11n
> 3x3:3 MIMO system. It freaking rocks as it is, but my reality is that I
> don't have anything that can actually use its full capabilities. At least
> in my case, looking at 802.11ac is kind of a pointless exercise for me,
> starting with the fact that I don't have anything which supports it.

 In a busy environment, features like the beam forming and extra antennas
are really going to pay off. It will matter less whether any single client
supports the full bandwidth of the router; in fact, some installations may
not want that! I think of it as backbone. Not a perfect analogy to copper
or fiber, as it really is a shared medium. But it's great to see the
continuing engineering that's going into wireless; from one polarity to
two, from two to spin, wider channels, higher modulation formats and
framing.

I have a building where I can't push 802.11ac down one floor and about 40
feet away. That's what two cinder-block walls will do to you!

jermudgeon